The movement Public Against Violence (Verejnosť proti násiliu, VPN) was established on November 19, 1989 at a meeting of cultural and academic workers in Bratislava as a spontaneous reaction of the cultural and scientific community to the crackdown by security forces against a peaceful demonstration of students on November 17, 1989, at Národní třída in Prague.
Public Against Violence was established as a free, open, independent association of citizens without binding rules for their activities, without the authorization or consent of the competent authorities, and thus without legal entity.
The Museum of the 1863 Uprising was established in 2009 as part of the Kėdainiai Regional Museum. It is housed in the restored mansion of Baron Stanislovas Šilingas, who was of German descent, built in 1793. The museum holds unique items from the 1863 uprising, as well as various historical displays to attract visitors, especially groups from secondary schools in Lithuania.
The Museum of the Occupation of Latvia 1940-1991 is a private institution. It was established in 1993 by a group of 11 people, who founded the Occupation Museum Foundation (OMF), now the Occupation Museum Association (OMB), to establish, administer and finance the Museum of the Occupation of Latvia. As a private museum, the Museum of the Occupation is financially, and thus politically, independent. The mission of the museum is as follows: ‘to identify, research, elucidate and commemorate the wrongs committed by foreign occupying powers against the state and the people of Latvia from 1940 to 1991; to preserve the historical memory of the Latvian people about the occupation period; and to inform and educate the people of Latvia and other nations about the history and the consequences of the occupation period, in order to strengthen the Latvian state and its place among the free and democratic nations of the world.’
- LV-1050 Rīga Raiņa bulvāris 7 , Latvia
- The Museum of the Occupation of Latvia
- Gyűjteményi munkatárs szerepében:
- Tulajdonosi szerepben:
- Kapcsolódó gyűjtemény:
- Riga, Latvia
- The National Archives of Latvia
The National Museum-Memorial to the Victims of Occupation “Prison on Lonskogo Street” is located in Lviv, inside a prison where the punitive organs of three occupying powers operated: Polish, Soviet and Nazi. The building was used by regional state security services (SBU) as a prison until 1996, when the death of an inmate precipitated its closing. After the local community caught wind of a plan to allow developers to build on the site in 2006, activists mobilized to transform the prison into a site commemorating the thousands of prisoners executed by the NKVD in 1941 as the Red Army fled from advancing Nazi forces, and those incarcerated here in the decades that followed. It is the first museum-memorial of its kind in Ukraine.
This structure was built for the Austro-Hungarian gendarme in 1889-1890 based on a neo-renaissance design by the architect Józef Kajetan Janowski. Under Polish rule in 1918-1920, the building was used as a prison, in particular a place to detain members of anti-government and anti-state organizations, like the Organization of Ukrainian Nationalists (OUN) or the Communist Party of Western Ukraine. Unofficially, the prison was used for holding political prisoners. In 1935, the building was transferred to the interrogatory wing of the Polish police and its rooms used as isolation cells. In 1939-1941, the Soviets used this as a prison with a capacity for 1,500 inmates after their takeover and occupation of eastern Galicia. The neighboring building housed the offices of the local NKVD. In 1941-1944, the Gestapo used this facility as a prison and place of interrogation, as well as the headquarters for the Einsatzgruppen. Under their supervision, the courtyard was paved with Jewish headstones from nearby cemeteries. Polish academic Kazimir Bartel was imprisoned here for a long time. From 1944 until the dissolution of the Soviet Union in 1991, the building was used by various iterations of the Soviet state security services (NKDV, MGB, and KGB). After independence, the building was used for a time by the regional successor organizations, until community activists and NGOS lobbied successfully for its transformation into a museum memorial in 2009.